Canterbury League Club first officially opened its doors for trade on 6 June 1957 to service the needs of the football club and local community. The first site was on 7 Collins Street in Belmore on land which used to house an old Salvation Army hall. The small hall was eventually replaced four months later by a repurposed naval depot building which became the first venue of the Canterbury League Club. The Club was led by Chairman Frank Stewart and Secretary Ken Charlton, and had an initial membership base of 292 members with a great number on the the waiting list.
The first Canterbury League Club at Collins St. The naval depot building was a large wooden structure that was originally located in Rushcutters Bay. Members and volunteers banded together to dismantle, transporte and re-assemble the building in Belmore on the weekends until it was finally completed.
The former Paragon 1 Theatre on Bridge Street which opened on 19 March 1924. The last movie was shown on 28 November 1958.
In the first two years of trade the Club quickly outgrew itself and the Board set their sights on finding new premises. At the same time, Paragon 1 Theatre behind the Club was closing down due to reduced trade so the Board acted immediately to offer £17,000 for the building which was accepted. After several long months of renovation to remodel the theatre, the new Canterbury League Club was opened on 12 April 1960. The larger premises allowed the Club to accommodate for their increased membership as well as cater for patron parking.
The renovations on Paragon 1 Theatre to turn it into Canterbury League Club cost £50,000.
During the 90s Canterbury managed one of the most successful League Clubs in NSW and was quickly becoming known as one of the most progressive leisure facilities in Australia. With trade booming and patronage at an all-time high, the Club extended its trading to 24 hour trading.
In 2000, the Board had approved major renovations. The renovations started in 2000 and in 2002 the Banyan Brasserie, Dynasty Restaurant, new foyer, Level 1 and Health Club were opened to the public.
The Club also amalgamated with Lakemba Services Memorial Club (2001) & Belfield RSL (2013).
Canterbury League Club has since become one of Sydney’s premier hospitality destinations with 5 star amenities including 4 restaurants, 2 coffee shops, multiple bars and entertainment lounges and a 24 hour health club.